MAB was formed on November 21, 1951 on the initiative of Major D.R. Bridges, then an officer in the Department of Welfare Services of Malaya. He was a soldier in the British army in Burma and was blinded in the war during the 1940’s. After being rehabilitated in England, he was assigned to work as a welfare officer for the blind in Malaya. Subsequently, he became the first Executive Director of the MAB in the 1950’s.
Major D.R. Bridges went on to make applications for land from the state governments of Pahang and Perak. This led to the establishment of the Taman Harapan agricultural training centre for the rural blind in Temerloh, Pahang in 1958 with an enrolment of ten trainees. The establishment of the Kinta Valley Workshop in Ipoh, Perak also started in the 1958 with enrolment of 20, to produce handicrafts for sale.
Eventually, 1996 saw the completion of the new MAB Complex on the site of the former GTC building. The idea was to house the majority of the services in Kuala Lumpur under one roof. Thus, in 1998 the GTC, Braille Library, Placement Service and Headquarters moved into the complex which was officially opened by His Majesty, the Yang Di Pertuan Agong, Tuanku Ja’afar Ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman.